There is no doubt that your horse will love these cookies! I know mine were nickering for more, as soon as they tasted one! Packed full of delicious apple, with rolled oats and a hint of molasses, these cookies can be used as a reward after training, or just as a special treat! I also like to make a few extra and take these down to the stables with me as a healthy and tasty treat for myself after a ride! But shhh don’t tell my horse!
Makes 12 cookies
180g unsweetened apple puree
200g rolled oats
50g apple – diced, skin on
2 tbsp molasses
¼ cup oil (this can be extra virgin olive oil, canola oil or linseed oil)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix well until combined
- Scoop out mixture to make 12 cookies (use less mixture for each cookie if you would like to make more)
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until slightly golden
- Allow to cool (as this will ensure the cookies harden and don’t crumble!)
You can use green or red apples for the recipe. The green apples will be slightly more tart, and the red a little sweeter. Leave the skin on for extra fibre!
If you don’t have molasses on hand, you can substitute this for honey or sugar. The result will be sweeter, and won’t have the distinct molasses taste.
I used extra virgin olive oil in my recipe as this is what I had on hand in the kitchen. However, I also like to use linseed oil for the omega 3 and 6. You can also use canola or even sunflower oil.
To see this recipe in action, visit our YouTube channel Horseright https://youtu.be/Oj4t2-1l1Qc